The Jennifer Jones Team
Tips for Staying Happy and Healthy While Enjoying the Hot Weather!
We know you cannot wait to get outside and take advantage of the beautiful weather that summer brings! Here are some things to keep in mind as you head outside so that you can enjoy every minute of it!
1. Protection from the Sun! When selecting a sunscreen, choose a broad spectrum sunscreen which protects against both UVA and UVB radiation. Remember that careful, effective application on all exposed skin is important. You may find a spray-based one is easier to apply. Consider using UPF or ultraviolet rated clothing for protection for when you are spending longer periods of time outdoors or when sunscreen will most likely wash off. Don’t forget your wide brimmed hat and sunglasses!
2. Protection from Insects! For mosquitoes, ticks, black flies, etc., use effective repellents with deet and cover up! To avoid wasps and bees, stay away from places where flowers are in bloom and there is a lot of food (and garbage cans).
3. When enjoying your bikes, scooters, and other outdoor activities, remember to wear protection such as kneepads and helmets. Proper footwear, such as closed toed shoes, is a must.
4. If you enjoy the day near water, ensure your children are under constant supervision. No person should ever swim alone and proper flotation devices should always be nearby. If you are out in a boat, WEAR that life-jacket. Always remember that water-related activities and alcohol do not mix.
5. Stay hydrated! Drink water frequently. Minimize your time in the sun during the hottest time of the day, between 11:00am and 4:00pm.
6. Who doesn’t enjoy a BBQ! When eating outdoors, keep food sealed and covered to discourage pests. Food should also be kept in the fridge, or at least cool in a cooler until it is time to eat or grill. Never leave food in direct sunlight. Ensure your King of the Grill has cooked all food properly and thoroughly. Everyone should always wash your hands to prevent contamination.
7. Make sure your car is in top driving condition. You do not want to break down at the side of the road when it is sweltering outside. NEVER leave your child in a hot car.
8. Stay inside during thunderstorms and for at least 30 minutes after you hear that last rumble of thunder.
9. Don’t forget your furry friends! Make sure they too are properly hydrated. NEVER leave a dog in a hot car. When you choose when and where to walk, keep in mind that the hot pavement can burn their paws.
Let’s all stay healthy and safe while we enjoy the beautiful summer weather!
Written by: Tanya Chisling (firstname.lastname@example.org)