Last summer my husband and I decided to tackle a much needed overhaul of our
backyard which had been a mound of dirt, sand and overgrown weeds since the house
was built a few years earlier. From that experience here are my tips for surviving a BIG
project with budget, marriage and sense of humour intact:
1) Have a good idea about your vision and design for the space you want to create and...
2) Respect your Budget. And from that, refine the design ideas that will fit into that budget.
3) Determine if there is any part of the project that can be DIY - like the deck my husband
built, and the gardens that I planted myself but leave the major stuff like moving rocks
and boulders to the professionals.
4) Get at least 2 but not more than 5 quotes from different companies. Ask friends, family
and your Realtor for recommendations. Most people have an opinion they are happy to
5) Have a timeline with a start and (maybe) a finish date and factor in possible delays and
some glitches just to keep it interesting.
6) Take pictures of the transformation and be grateful when your vision comes to life - and
thank those who did the heavy lifting!
7) Enjoy the (almost) finished project with family and friends and some nice cold beverages
on the new backyard patio!
Happy home improvement project!
*Please note, this blog is not intended to solicit those home buyers or home sellers that are under a current agency agreement.